Guide: ADT bundle downloads / Import ADT to Android Studio

Get help on issues related to the book here!
APorter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Guide: ADT bundle downloads / Import ADT to Android Stud

Postby APorter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello I just recently got onto Chapter 2 and I realized I had a warning and it says,"Build path specifies execution environment JavaSE-1.7. There are no JREs installed in the work space that are strictly compatible with this environment." I tried adding the path of my JDK to PATH and that didn't do it either. I installed JDK 7 and this is the path I entered,";C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0/bin". Does this look right? Thanks for the help!

jamescho7
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jamescho7 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:08 pm

If Eclipse is opening for you, that's a great sign. This may be of help:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3138 ... t-j2se-1-4

zymon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby zymon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks James.

I have been away for a week, so When I follow the instructions its asks me thinks I really have no idea about.

Path of what program (eclipse JDT) to where (JDT? - where is JDT, I cant see where it is)
What is class and which program or folder is is talking about.

In installed Java JDK 8u51, but it does not seem to be a software I can see anywhere.

Sorry new to these terms etc.

Simon

jamescho7
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jamescho7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:14 pm

So here's the overview. Eclipse is a Java-based software. To be able to run it, you need to have Java installed on your computer. When you get a path error, that means Eclipse cannot locate where Java is installed.

To specify where Java is installed, you need to add a variable (that specifies where Java is installed) into Environment Variables (a list of values used by Windows).

Now to do this, you first download the JDK. This should install in your Program Files/Java folder. For me, mine installed here: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71 (Don't worry about the version difference).

Now I want to copy this address and add it to my Environment Variables. To do so, right click on My Computer, click Properties. Select the Advanced tab, and click on Environmental Variables. Click on new, and add your variable as JAVA_HOME.

Code: Select all

Variable name: JAVA_HOME
Variable value: ****YOUR JDK FOLDER**** (e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71)

Don't get discouraged if you are having a hard time with this. This is probably the hardest part of the entire book.
Let me know if you have any issues, and if you are unable to get this working, perhaps we can get talk over Skype or Google Hangouts and I will guide you further.

Hvilleda85
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Guide: ADT bundle downloads / Import ADT to Android Studio

Postby Hvilleda85 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Question: I recently downloaded Android Studio to my laptop. Will it be very different following the instructions from the book onto the new program? I want to know if there any different steps that are necessary in order to succeed in creating programs in Android Studio.

Thank You!

jamescho7
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jamescho7 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:16 am

There are many differences, but it should be pretty straightforward once you figure out how to make classes and add resources and such!

Hvilleda85
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Hvilleda85 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:02 pm

jamescho7 wrote:There are many differences, but it should be pretty straightforward once you figure out how to make classes and add resources and such!

The reason I ask is I'm stuck continuing from page 33-34, with starting with the first program due to this in my file MyActivity.java, which was created when I started a new project from Android Studio:

package com.example.harold.myfirstapp;

import android.support.v7.app.AppCompatActivity;
import android.os.Bundle;

public class MyActivity extends AppCompatActivity {

@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
setContentView(R.layout.activity_my);
}
}

Can you offer some assistance?

Return to “Book General Help”